Making a rose out of a cloth napkin is a simple way to improve the table adornments for a dinner party or any other special occasion. In a few quick steps, you’ll have a table full of napkin art worthy of the fanciest restaurant!
[Edit]Folding Your Napkin
- Lay the napkin flat in front of you. Always use a cloth napkin rather than a paper one as the larger the napkin, the easier it is to fold. Your napkin should be square-shaped in order to create your rose.
- Fold the napkin in half diagonally. The end result will look like a triangle.
- Roll the napkin. With the longest side near you, roll the triangle up until it reaches halfway. Although this part is a little tricky, you will soon get the hang of it.
- Turn the napkin over. Flip the napkin so that you can’t see the rolls. The longest side should be nearest to you. At this stage, the napkin looks like a triangle with two tails.
[Edit]Pulling Down the Napkin Flaps
- Roll up the tail edge. Take the end of one tail and roll until it reaches the end of the other tail. When you’re done rolling, tuck the free end of your napkin into the small pocket created at the bottom. The napkin will look like a torch or a candle.
- Shape the two inside flaps. Inside your creation, there should be two flaps: pull one to the left and the other to the right. It’s easy to mess this step up, so do it carefully.
- Turn the napkin over. It is now crafted into the shape of a rose. Continue this process with the remaining napkins until all are completed.
- Display your creation on a table. If you are throwing a dinner party, you will impress guests with your imaginative napkin displays. Place the silverware to either side of the napkin roses.
- Allow your napkins to be the centerpiece. For the most practical and classy of centerpieces, display enough napkins folded into roses so that everyone can grab one when their food arrives.
- This doesn’t really work with paper napkins as they’re prone to ripping; however, follow this tutorial to create rose from a paper one.
The easiest way to make a rose out of a napkin is to fold the napkin in half diagonally, then roll the folded side up halfway and flip the napkin over. Fold one “tail” into the other side and repeat with the other tail. Roll the napkin until it reaches the other side, and tuck in any extra cloth that’s sticking out. Pull apart the two flaps inside the rolled up napkin and turn it over to appreciate your creation! Read on for helpful videos and tips on how to display your napkins!