So you want to make a dog shirt, eh? Don’t want to spend the money? Don’t we all. Well, read on to see how EXACTLY to do so.
- See if the shirt fits over your dog as-is. You want a shirt that already fits them well; if the shirt is too small to easily fit them, you’ll need to use a larger shirt.
- Grab the part where the sleeve is stitched on the bodice if the shirt has sleeves. Cut along the seam.
- Repeat this process for the other sided shirt-sleeve.
- Cut the bottom, so that it is the same length as your dog’s torso.
- You can also decorate your dog’s shirt with permanent or fabric markers, thread embroidery, sew-on patches, or anything else found in the custom t-shirt section of most craft stores. Just be sure to wash the shirt before putting it on the dog to wash out any excess ink, and don’t use anything that can be chewed off and swallowed.
- If you’re handy with a needle, you can cut the shirt apart and re-sew it to tailor fit your dog. After all, t-shirts are designed to fit humans and will probably not fit a dog as well as a person.
- Don’t force your dog to wear it!
- Many dogs love wearing pet clothes, but some dogs hate it. If your dog becomes scared or frustrated while wearing the shirt, take it off and consider trying again later. Never force a dog to wear something that it doesn’t like.
[Edit]Things You’ll Need
- An old shirt
- Sharpies (optional)
- A dog
- Make a Hat for a Dog
- Make Clothes for Your Dog
- Make a Cat Bed from an Old Sweater
- Make a Dog Toy with a T–Shirt